The Sacramento County Tobacco Control Coalition is a standing committee of the Sacramento County Public Health Advisory Board (PHAB). PHAB functions as an official advisory council to the Board of Supervisors and the County Department of Health and Human Services.
Sacramento County Tobacco Control Coalition is to transform the Sacramento community into a tobacco-free society in the 21st Century. To accomplish this, the Coalition will provide education, coordination, and support of anti-tobacco activities; support and supplement school education; and oversee the development, implementation, and evaluation of the Sacramento County Tobacco Control Plan.
Purpose of the coalition
- Serves as an oversight committee for tobacco control or education programs provided or funded by the County of Sacramento.
- Shares information, ideas, coordination and linkages.
- Provides a forum for public participation and community education.
- Promotes a tobacco-free community by providing education, coordination and support of anti-tobacco activities.
- Advocates for and promotes policy changes which support tobacco-free schools, workplaces, events, community networks, and a general smoke-free environment.
- Conducts community inventories and assessments of tobacco-related activities.
- Sponsors and conducts public hearings relating to tobacco issues.
- Provides expertise and technical assistance.
- Reviews community programs and makes recommendations for funding based on developed criteria for selection.
The Coalition welcomes all individuals and organizations interested in tobacco control activities within Sacramento County. Membership is made up of committed individuals concerned about the negative effects of tobacco. Members are recruited from all types of agencies and the community at large. The TCC includes representatives of agencies, schools, community-based organizations, major racial/ethnic groups within the local health jurisdiction, and individuals with special interest or expertise in tobacco control.
Everyone is welcome to attend a TCC meeting. The TCC meets every second Wednesday of odd-numbered months. There are also several subcommittees of the TCC that meet on a regular basis. For more information about meeting times, dates and locations please contact us at (916) 875-5869.
The TCC has various subcommittees which address specific issues relating to tobacco control. Anyone is welcome and encouraged to participate in Subcommittee meetings and activities. Current subcommittees include:
- Secondhand Smoke Subcommittee
- Youth & Young Adult Subcommittee
- Tobacco Retail Licensing Task Force
Subcommittee meeting times and locations vary. Call the Tobacco Education Program for upcoming meeting dates.
Sacramento County Tobacco Education Program
Phone (916) 875-5869