INSTRUCTIONS FOR INITIAL EMT APPLICANTS
An EMT shall only be certified by one (1) certifying entity during a certification period.
To be certified as an EMT in the State of California by Sacramento County the applicant must be eighteen (18) years or older and complete and upload the following:
An individual who meets one of the following criteria below (1-3), shall be eligible for initial certification upon fulfilling all requirements under (4) of this page:
- Apply online at https://actonline.saccounty.net and register as a new user. Once the account is established, log in and apply for certification. Online application instructions found here.
- Documentation of successful completion of an approved initial EMT training course, within the last two (2) years that meets the requirements in the State of California Title 22, Division 9, Chapter 2 (Course Completion record) and a valid NREMT certificate and card, or
- Pass the NREMT within two (2) years from the date of application for EMT certification, and have a current and valid out-of-state EMT Certificate, or
In addition to meeting one of the criteria listed above, to be eligible for initial certification, an individual shall:
- Possess a current National Registry EMT, Advance EMT or Paramedic registration certificate, or
- Possess a current out-of-state Advanced EMT or Paramedic certificate, or
- Possess a valid California Advanced EMT certificate, or
- Possess a current California Paramedic license
Pay the required fees.
- Possess Current CPR for the Healthcare Provider card or equivalent
- Government issued photo identification (Driver's License or Passport)
- Supplemental Certification Application (if prior convictions) and all documents that pertain to prior conviction(s)
- Completed Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Live Scan Request Form, BCII 8016. Obtain Live Scan form here.
Please use the SCEMSA- specific Live Scan form on our website and take to a Live Scan location.Live Scan Locations
If assistance is needed with the online process, bring all documents in person to:
Sacramento County Emergency Medical Services Agency (SCEMSA)
9616 Micron Avenue, Suite 960
Sacramento, CA 95827
We will assist with online registration/application and uploading documents. Application approval times vary depending on the Live Scan processing times.
Cost for initial EMT Certification
- $50.28 SCEMSA application fee (Non-refundable)
- $75.00 State of California Emergency Medical Services Agency EMT Central Registry fee (Non-refundable)
- $30.00 Expedited Processing fee (if requested)
Fees may be paid by credit card online or with exact cash at the SCEMSA office.