INSTRUCTIONS FOR EMT REINSTATEMENT - FOR A LAPSE OF TWELVE (12) MONTHS or MORE
To be reinstated as an EMT in the State of California by Sacramento County, the applicant must complete and submit the following:
- Go online at https://actonline.saccounty.net and apply. Online application instructions found here.
- Apply for and receive a National Registry EMT card within two (2) years of the date of application for EMT reinstatement unless a current National Registry EMT, AEMT or paramedic certificate or a current AEMT certificate or paramedic license was previously obtained.
- Upload the following:
Pay the required fees.
- Expired EMT Certification issued in California.
- Proof of passing both the NREMT cognitive and pychomotor exams.
- Successful completion of a twenty-four (24) hour refresher course from an approved EMT training program, and twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education, within the last twenty-four (24) months prior to applying for reinstatement OR;
(a) Forty-eight (48) hours of CE within the last twenty-four (24) months prior to applying for reinstatement, from an approved CE provider as outlined in the State of California Title 22, Division 9, Chapter 11.
- Completed Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Live Scan Request Form, BCII 8016. Obtain Live Scan form here.
- Current CPR for the Healthcare Provider card or equivalent
- Government issued photo identification.
- Beginning July 1, 2019, an EMT renewing his/her certification for the first time shall submit documentation of successful completion on the use of naloxone, epinephrine by auto-injector and glucometers. Please see additional information HERE.
- Skills competency verification form, EMSA-SCV (01/17), with original signatures.
- This form must be the current 01/17 version to be accepted after July 1, 2017. Obtain Skills Competency form here.
Please use the SCEMSA- specific Live Scan form on our website and take to a Live Scan location. Live Scan Locations
If assistance is needed with the online process, bring all documents in person to:
Sacramento County Emergency Medical Services Agency (SCEMSA)
9616 Micron Avenue, Suite 960
Sacramento, CA 95827
We will assist with online registration/application and uploading documents. Application approval times vary depending on the Live Scan processing times.
Cost for EMT Renewal/Reinstatement
- $50.28 SCEMSA application fee (Non-refundable).
- $75.00 State of California reinstatement fee (Non-refundable).
- $30.00 Late fee (within 30 days of expiration)
- $30.00 Expedited Processing fee (if requested)
Fees may be paid by credit card online or with exact cash at the SCEMSA office.