INSTRUCTIONS FOR EMT CERTIFICATION RENEWAL - CURRENT EMTs OR LAPSE OF LESS THAN SIX (6) MONTHS
EMT renewal requirements may be completed six (6) months prior to the current certification expiration date. To renew certification as an EMT in the State of California by Sacramento County, the applicant must complete and submit the following:
- Go online at https://actonline.saccounty.net and apply. Online
application instructions found here.
- Upload the following:
certifying entities, complete a Department of Justice (DOJ)
and Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Live Scan background
Live Scan form here.Pay the required fees.
- Twenty-four (24) hours of Continuing Education hours or
an approved EMT Refresher Course. Upload CE certificates to
- Skills competency verification form, EMSA-SCV (01/17),
with original signatures
form must be the
current 01/17 version to be accepted after July 1, 2017. Obtain Skills
Competency form here.
July 1, 2019, an EMT renewing his/her certification for the first time
shall submit documentation of successful completion on the use of
naloxone, epinephrine by auto-injector and glucometers. Please see additional information
- Government issued photo identification.
- Current CPR for the Healthcare Provider card or
- Current or expired (within 6 months) California State
- Notice of Disciplinary Causes
- Supplemental Certification Application (if prior
convictions) and all documents that pertain to prior
Please use the SCEMSA- specific Live Scan form on our website and take to a Live Scan location. Live Scan Locations
If assistance is needed with the online process, bring all documents in person to:
Sacramento County Emergency Medical Services Agency (SCEMSA)
9616 Micron Avenue, Suite 960
Sacramento, CA 95827
We will assist with online registration/application and uploading documents. Application approval times vary depending on the Live Scan processing times.
Cost for EMT Renewal/Reinstatement
- $50.28 SCEMSA application fee (Non-refundable)
- $37.00 State of California recertification fee for an EMT that has previously submitted to a Live Scan background check for the purpose of certification or recertification as an EMT with Sacramento County. (Non-refundable).
- $30.00 Late fee (within 30 days of expiration),
($75.00 State of California EMT Recertification fee for an EMT that has not previously submitted to a Live Scan background check for the purpose of certification or recertification as an EMT with Sacramento County. Non-refundable)
- $30.00 Expedited Processing fee (if requested)
Fees may be paid by credit card online or with exact cash at the SCEMSA office.